The FLAG Award for Teaching Excellence recognizes and celebrates extraordinary public school teachers who inspire learning through creativity, passion, and commitment. One grand-prize winner from each of the five NYC boroughs will receive a $25,000 unrestricted cash prize, and their schools will receive a $10,000 grant designated for use in an arts-based initiative designed by the winners.
Criteria for Nomination
The ideal candidate …
- Challenges and inspires students of all abilities, utilizing innovative teaching techniques and approaches to curricula and activities.
- Reaches out beyond the classroom, making a positive impact on the school and the community.
- Embraces their role as an educator with tireless, devoted dedication.
- Acknowledges the full spectrum of potential in each and every student.
- Teaches through example, as a leader and role model both inside the classroom and out.
- Engages in opportunities for self-improvement and continues to learn, grow, and develop as a teacher.
- One winning teacher in each borough will be selected for a $25,000 prize PLUS an additional $10,000 grant for their school.
- Finalists will win $10,000, plus a $2,000 grant for their school.
- Eligible teachers must be full-time, NYC public school teachers (K-12), with at least 5 years experience.
- Almost anyone can nominate a teacher (for ex: a student, parents of a student, a teacher's colleague, etc)
Feel free to make a nomination. A teacher can be nominated multiple times.
How you can help:
- NOMINATE at least one public school teacher who you know
- SHARE the website and FLAG Award nomination form with your relevant networks and encourage them to nominate a teacher.
- POST information about the FLAG Awards in your e-newsletters and on social media. Below are two suggested social media posts.
Do you know an outstanding, creative, and deeply devoted New York City public school teacher? Nominate them for The FLAG Award for Teaching Excellence and help them win $25,000 (plus an additional $10,000 for their school)! https://flagaward.org/nominate-your-teacher
Do you know an outstanding, creative, and deeply devoted NYC public school teacher? Nominate them for the @FlagAward for Teaching Excellence and help them win $25,000 (plus an additional $10,000 for their school)! https://flagaward.org/nominate-your-teacher
An independent jury—including Dr. Betty A. Rosa, Interim Commissioner of Education and President of the University of the State of New York—will select the winners to be announced in June 2021.
For more information and to nominate a teacher, visit flagaward.org. Nominations are due by December 15, 2020.